I’ve never done a discussion post before, I’m not sure if I’m doing this right but hey ho, I’m winging it right now! Anyway, for this post I will be including pros and cons within each category and then explaining my preference of copy at the end.
P A P E R B A C K S
- Paperbacks are tricky, in the UK a lot of books come out as LARGE paperbacks first if they don’t have a hardback but they can suddenly decide to do the next in a normal paperback which drives me mad when it comes to having a matching sized series!
- Paperbacks are easier to hold whilst reading and they’re easier to store on the shelf by stacking.
- They’re more affordable than the hardbacks.
H A R D B A C K S
- Hardbacks look so much prettier on the shelf.
- They can have gorgeous engraving under the dust jacket.
- They come out first.
- Sometimes in the UK they’ll do the first book in hardback and then decide not to do anymore in that (Last Namsara..)
- Another UK issue, the hardbacks can go out of print quickly.
E B O O K S
- All stored on your device.
- Unlimited books.
- Can be much cheaper than the paperbacks.
- Not so great if you get migraines reading on the screen.
- No page flipping and you can’t sniff them either.
- e-ARC opportunities
I can’t really read ebooks sadly, they give me such headaches if I stare at the screen for so long. Between the physical copies, I do prefer hardbacks myself but I only buy them when I’m able to as the paperbacks are just half the price of them. What’s your book preference?